Question:

From Hutchinson, Kansas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes, and I was taking Amaryl and Glucophage resulting in blood sugar averages of 130-150 mg/dl [7.2-8.3 mmol/L]. However, I recently switched to Glucovance and have not had as good control (160-200 mg/dl [8.9-11.1 mmol/L]). Does it take a while for the new medication to start working?

Answer:

It sounds like the dose of the Glucovance might not be equivalent to the combined doses of the Amaryl [glimepiride] and Glucophage [metformin]. The Glucovance can be adjusted to control blood sugars, as long as the maximum dose of either of the agents in the Glucovance is not exceeded. Remember that Glucovance is the combination of Glucophage and glyburide, which is from the same class of medications as Amaryl.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes