Question:

From Mombasa, Kenya:

I am 18 years old, was first diagnosed with diabetes at the age of nine, and I am going to leave home to attend a university in London, England. My doctor was not happy with latest A1c which was 7.6%. Can you give me some advice as I will be far from home?

Answer:

A hemoglobin A1c of 7.6% is not so bad, but further improvement of metabolic control might be able to decrease that value closer to 6.5%, which the 'gold standard' for better prevention of diabetes complications. London is not only a great international city for its people and its cultural and economical life, but it is also an outstanding place for diabetes care and research. I'm sure you'll be able to find superb diabetes care over there.

Posted to Traveling and Daily Care