Question:

From Rochester, New York, USA:

My 16 year old niece has had diabetes for approximately three years and is not managing her diabetes well. Recently I have become aware, accidently, that she has difficulty holding her urine. She is up often at night to urinate and often does not make it to the bathroom in time. What could this frequent urination at night suggest?

Answer:

Sugar in your niece's urine may be secondary to poor metabolic control (high blood sugar with spilling of sugar into the urine and then polyuria), but I'd also check for a urine infection. Ask your niece's parents to take her to a pediatrician for an urine exam.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Other Illnesses