Question:

From Warrenville, South Carolina, USA:

My three year old daughter is going through tests to see how bad her diabetes is. Her doctor said that she has honeymooners diabetes which I have never heard of. Can you give me some background on this type? Is it also called a different name?

Answer:

There is not a degree of severity with type 1 diabetes in young children. However, there are periods of time when diabetes can be more difficult to control and times where blood sugar control is much easier. The honeymoon is the period of time shortly after the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes during which there is some restoration of insulin production, and the blood sugar levels improve to normal, or near-normal, levels. Unfortunately, like other honeymoons, this diabetes honeymoon doesn't last forever. It may last for weeks, months, or occasionally, years. You can read more questions that other parents have asked about the honeymoon on this site.

[Editor's comment: Discuss this further with your daughter's diabetes team. If your daughter is not under the care of a pediatric endocrinologist, and you aren't able to get answers from her present physician, ask for a referral. WWQ]