From Australia:

My father has diabetes, and my three and a half year old son is just getting over a virus that gave him vomiting and a high temperature (39c). I have noticed this morning an acetone smell from his breath. It's not strong as only I seem to be able to smell it. Is this a warning or a symptom of diabetes? What do you recommend I do?

Anyone can develop ketones, which have this odor, not just people with diabetes. It is common for a child with a tummy bug who has not eaten to develop ketones, and some people are able to smell them. It is not a symptom of diabetes.