Question:

From Ridgecrest, California, USA:

My son receives a three month supply of his insulin by mail, and I've just been informed that Lantus lasts about one month. Is this after opening the bottle or do we need to be concerned that his entire three month supply will go bad in a month?

Answer:

As with any bottle of insulin, once opened, Lantus (insulin glargine) should be replaced after a month. Opened insulin should be kept in a room temperature environment as insulin does not tolerate repeated bouts of cooling and warming/cooling and warming, over and over from the fridge to warm hands to the fridge to warm hands, etc. Besides, insulin is less uncomfortable during injections if at room temperature.

Unopened vials of insulin should be kept in the refrigerator and are good until the expiration date on the box. I do not believe that Lantus is any different.

[Editor's comment: Please be sure that all of your son's insulin is shipped in a controlled temperature container. There have been several problems with insulin going "bad" because of temperature extremes incurred during shipping. SS]

Posted to Insulin Analogs