Question:

From Germantown, Tennessee, USA:

I am am 37 years old, I have had type 2 diabetes for almost a year, and I really don't need to lose weight (5 feet 5 inches tall, 137 pounds), but I have read that liposuction can "cure" insulin resistance. I'm wondering if it can possibly be helpful in either improving or curing type 2 diabetes. My weight has been up and down most of my adult life, so I probably have more fat cells than most people; they're just small. Is there a chance that liposuction will help control this awful disease? Should I pursue liposuction?

Answer:

Since you are not obese, the loss of more fat may not have benefit in treating your diabetes. I do not think this is the way to go. Rather, I would discuss several issues with your physician, including whether you have typeá1 or typeá2 diabetes, healthy lifestyle issues, treatment goals, and healthy weight maintenance.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations