Question:

From Lakeland, Florida, USA:

My 11 year old is going on a pump and attends a small Catholic school which does not have a nurse. I have given the office information, but they don't even read it, and I am concerned if he has a low, they might not call for help. They seem to take his diabetes very lightly. Do we have any rights? Any suggestions?

Answer:

Unfortunately, as I understand things, your son's parochial school is not bound by the laws unless it receives Federal funding. I would inquire about this and then, if it does, make sure that your son has a 504 plan in place. You might also seek the assistance of your local American Diabetes Association affiliate assisting you with this problem.

Obviously, given this scenario, it will be extremely important that your son understands his insulin pump inside out and backwards, that he have emergency supplies quickly at hand to treat hypoglycemia and give an insulin injection if needed, and that you establish a reliable communication plan to deal with any problems that arise.

Please be sure that your son's diabetes team is made acutely ware of these issues. They may be able to provide more insight and assistance.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare