Question:

From Berlin, New Hampshire, USA:

My eight year old, who has had type 1 diabetes for six years and has been on the insulin pump for the last three years, is very smart in his care. He can figure out his own bolus (which is double-checked by an adult) and then boluses himself once he knows what the amount is. I have asked the school to let him bolus himself after he is done eating his snack. This would have him leave class once instead of twice for one snack. The nurse is refusing to do so. How much say do parents have on their child's care at school? I want to prepare my son for a bigger school next year where he will have to be more independent. His doctor agrees with me, but we cannot get the school nurse to let us help my son grow.

Answer:

I'm not sure I understand why your son would have to leave class twice. Why can't he stay in nurse's office (if that is where he eats his snack), finish his snack, and then take his bolus right there? Of course, I would place a time limit of say 10-15 minutes on doing this. Making him leave to eat his snack I would make sure that you include this in your son's 504 plan which should be signed by his physician. The nurse is obligated to abide by doctor's orders. See The Law, Schools, and Your Child with Diabetes.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare