From Travis, Texas, USA:

My 12 year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for 10 years and has never needed the glucagon is in the in the seven grade, and we know how important it is for caregivers to be prepared in case of a severe low blood sugar. Since his athletics start at 6:45 am, we have requested that the coaches be trained on the administration of the glucagon injection, but the school district is telling us that no one at the school can administer shots and their "plan" is to call 911. The ambulance response time is five minutes and the first response team sent can only give glucose gel. The second response team is the only ambulance in town and takes 15 minutes or so to respond. My son's doctor has ordered that the glucagon be administered if he is unconscious for three minutes and no ambulance shows up within that time. My son is filed under Chapter 504 and the glucagon is part of his accommodation plan. The school is not willing to have a safe plan in place for my son. Are they required to have trained staff (other than the RN) to administer the glucagon if necessary? They are worried about the liability if the glucagon is administered incorrectly. It seems the attorneys are once again making medical decisions!!

Unfortunately, you are not alone -- this is a major problem throughout the country. See a previous answer on this topic. If the school has signed off on your son's 504 Plan, they must abide by it and train personnel to give glucagon if needed.

Posted to School and Daycare