Question:

From Magnolia, Mississippi, USA:

How low is too low for someone with typeá1 diabetes?

Answer:

Less than 4 mmol/L [72 mg/dl].

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

A normal blood glucose is between 60 and 125 mg/dL. Your Diabetes Team has likely given you a target glucose range, to allow some "cushion" to fall back and allow some wiggle room on days the glucose may be a little low. I think you have to be practical about your management. I would love my patients to have glucose readings in the normal range as often as possible. A blood glucose of 60 mg/dL just before lunch or dinner would not bother me nearly as much as that same value upon awakening or last thing before bed.

IDS

[Editor's comment: As Drs. Robertson and Schwartz indicate, some physicians use very clear guidelines, but also there are some very personalized ones. Another example -- during pregnancy, the cutoff value would probably be different for a woman with typeá1 diabetes than when non-pregnant.

It's probably safe to conclude that the decision of how low is too low should be decided by the patient in conjunction with his/her diabetes doctor. WWQ]