From Bangkok, Thailand:

My 50 year old mother-in-law has had type 2 diabetes treated with pills for five years, she is (according to her doctor) 30 kilos overweight, she eats the wrong food, and her blood sugar (when tested) is around 250-300 mg/dl [13.9-16.7 mmol/L]. Can you tell me where to get some literature on her disease that first will tell her both the severity and consequences of neglecting her problem (in other words, shock her because she doesn't think it is very serious) and secondly, written in Thai, if they are available? If not, we will translate from English.

I would recommend you search the American Diabetes Association website. It has a variety of educational material available to viewers without charge. You may also ask them if there is information in your mother-in-law's native language that can be sent to her.

[Editor's comment: If you contact the Diabetes Association of Thailand (Ratchawithi Road, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400 Tel. 66-2/246-4061), they will know what educational materials are available in Thai. I would also suggest that you inquire about diabetes teams in Thailand as it appears that your mother is in need of specialized assistance. SS]

[Editor's comment: The NIDDK website is another good source of general patient information, including a group of "easy to read" (and easy to translate, perhaps) publications. WWQ]