Question:

From Alabama, USA:

I am a 27 years old, have had type 1 diabetes (with excellent control) for 18 years, and this month I changed to Lantus. Since the change, I have developed daily, almost unbearable headaches during which my glucose is perfect. Are there any known side effects of Lantus? I would love to stay on the new medicine, but not if this keeps up.

Answer:

I haven't heard of headaches with Lantus (insulin glargine). It might mean the glucose is a bit lower than you think at other times. Your situation might well be clarified by monitoring sugar levels continuously for several days to try to sort out what's happening in more detail. See The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. You might document lows you don't know about.

Posted to Insulin Analogs