Question:

From Moscow, Russia:

I've just read a book for doctors about pregnancy and diabetes which has made me very frightened now. They say, in 100% of pregnancies in which women have type 1 diabetes, there are abnormalities with placental development, and the risk for all women with type 1 and their children is very high, even when our blood sugar readings are well controlled before and throughout the pregnancy. I know much more now, and I am afraid of conceiving much more than ever. Is it better for women with type 1 diabetes to never have children?

Answer:

The risk for abnormalities in babies of mothers with type 1 diabetes is increased, but is not 100%. Even with a hemoglobin A1c greater than 10%, the incidence of fetal abnormalities was about 25%. The risk increases with the degree of poor glucose control.

You can minimize your risk by maintaining your blood sugar as close to normal as possible prior to conception and during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Of course, good glucose control throughout the pregnancy is important as well.

[Editor's comment: The "scare story" you read has had no impact whatsoever on the medical recommendations of doctors since the 1970's. Perhaps you read something that was written before then? See Family Planning for young women with diabetes and Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning