Question:

From Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA:

My eight year old son is constantly hungry (even at 10-11 at night) after eating a hearty dinner, seems to always be thirsty, urinates quite often, is tired (especially right after school), and has gained weight instead of losing it. I have type 2 diabetes as do his maternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, and his father's brother. I have checked his blood several times (at different times during the day), which run 87-178 mg/dl [4.8-9.9 mmol/L], and he has had a fasting blood sugar of 122 mg/dl [6.8 mmol/L]. Does this sound normal? I am planning to have him tested for diabetes.

Answer:

I would encourage you to proceed with your plans to have him tested for diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes in Children typically presents with weight gain in addition to high blood sugars.