Question:

From Bothell, Washington, USA:

My 13 year old son is having trouble with the social aspects of having diabetes. He is having trouble sticking to the strict schedule he's on. He uses a combination of Regular, Lente and Humalog and has to eat at set times with a set number of carbs. His doctor has suggested glargine along with Humalog before every meal, but my son doesn't want to take a shot at school before lunch. Are there any other options?

Answer:

I think the Lantus (insulin glargine) and Humalog is best because it allows for flexible eating times and amounts of food so he can be more like other teens. Try to sell the flexible.

Believe it or not, no one cares about his diabetes. I know that's hard for him to believe, but.ask him if he cares about others and their problems. I expect he doesn't even notice.

[Editor's comment: Another option might be an insulin pump. See Is pumping for you?. SS]