From Springfield, Virginia, USA:

I am a mid-30 year old female with type 1 diabetes for 18 years, and allergy testing revealed that I am allergic to thimerosal. I have had the flu shot for several years now (missed it last year because I got sick and could not shake it in the time that I felt was beneficial). I have never had any kind of reaction, but I believe it contains thimerosal as a preservative. What should I do?

If you are allergic to the flue shot preservatives, then don't get the flu shot. Not everyone with diabetes needs the flu shot since it only protects against a single type of flu bug (influenza).

[Editor's comment: There are now medications to treat the flu -- amantadine (Symmetrel), rimantadine (Flumadine), zanamivir (Relenza), and oseltamivir (Tamiflu) -- see Flu Shots at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]