From a family physician in Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

My 10 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about nine months ago, started the pump recently but had to discontinue due to severe contact dermatitis reactions to the tape adhesives.

While you have probably attacked this by many routes already, I would have the pump trainer work with you about different tapes and adhesives for the insertion site and give the pump another go!

[Editor's comment: The problems your son had with using an insulin pump suggest sensitivity to the tape being used, or by friction from the needle or plastic parts of the infusion set., and can usually be solved by creating a barrier between the skin and the irritant. See Tape Tips And Other Infusion Site Information at the Insulin Pumpers site for possible solutions. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps