Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Tel Aviv, Israel:

I am 45 years old, was diagnosed with diabetes about before three years ago when I had ketones, and I take insulin. My recent lab tests are a GAD antibody level of 83%, negative islet cell antibodies, and a C-peptide of 1.95. Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Can the doctor change the treatment by giving me Glucophage or other medicine?


My interpretation of the GAD antibody is that it is elevated, and your C-peptide level is not absolutely low. However, individuals with Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA) do not have to have absolutely low C-peptide levels. The history is that they fall fairly rapidly over time, however. It you have autoimmune diabetes, placing you on Glucophage [metformin] will not necessarily help you. I would suggest you continue to follow closely with your physician.


Original posting 10 Oct 2001
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Home Return to Top

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.