From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

Our seven year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago, we are planning a trip to Club Med, and need some advice about how to handle meals and snacks at an all-inclusive resort. We have travelled with him since he was diagnosed, both by plane and car and know that sitting for long periods will cause his numbers to go through the roof. We are fairly confident at adjusting doses, but would really like advice or to be able to communicate with others who have been to a Club Med.

Most resorts, like Club Med, which are focused on customer service, should have no problem assisting your son with his meal planning. If advance notice is given to the resort, there should be no problem. They are usually more than happy to assist any way they can. I work at a diabetes center near the Disney parks in Orlando, and I know they are great about assisting with special food requests.

Keep in mind that any food can be worked into a diabetes meal plan, and hopefully you and your son will be able to "pick and choose" choices that work well into his meal plan. If not, then just ask.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Traveling