Question:

From Burlington, Vermont, USA:

My 14 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, works out three times per week for about an hour before school, and swims for two to two and half hours daily. She is currently on NPH with a sliding scale of Humalog (morning and evening and at afternoon snack, if indicated), her latest hemoglobin A1c was 8%, and she does have some problems with 2 am lows about five times in a month. She does not want to use an insulin pump, and I thought Lantus might work, but I have heard from some sources that it does not pair well with a lot of athletic activity. Do you have any information regarding the use of Lantus for athletes in training?

Answer:

There is no information saying that athletes should not use Lantus (insulin glargine). It would likely help her overnight control problems.

You should talk with your daughter's diabetes team and see if this would be worth trying. If the Lantus does not work, you can always return to her previous dose regimen, of course.

Posted to Insulin Analogs