From Austin, Texas, USA:

How long does it take Humalog (or any other insulin) to go "bad" when exposed to heat? How many repeated exposures to extremes, say a pen being brought into a hot car and then cooled by the air conditioning, can the insulin handle?

Good question, especially in the sunny South. There is no good answer. I tell patients that unexplained high sugars two or three times in a row equals bad insulin. You are right -- a hot car, air conditioning, etc., and the pen will go bad. I almost never see pump insulin last the three days people talk about especially here in the South. Just use the rule, if the sugar is high and you can't explain it, blame the insulin.

Posted to Insulin Analogs