From Greenbelt, Maryland, USA:

My five year old daughter is overweight and continues to gain weight even though she exercises. We took her to doctor to get blood drawn, but they were unsuccessful, so we have decided to use my wife's (who has typeá1 diabetes) meter to check sugar levels. I have been told by another parent that if my daughter's sugar level is 125 mg/dl [6.9 mmol/L] or above, she has a diabetes. Is this true? Is there a chance my daughter has diabetes? What can we do as parents?

See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. In addition, obese children are at risk for developing typeá2 diabetes, especially if there is a family history of diabetes. See What You Need to Know about Type 2 Diabetes in Children.