From Austin, Texas, USA:

My seven and a half year old son, diagnosed four years ago, finds the injections of Humalog in his stomach area to be painful even though he had accepted injections in this area for about three years. An Inject-Ease® device with one spacer ring is used for all injections with a short needle syringe. This has not changed recently, the Humalog is at room temperature, alcohol is used to clean the area and allowed to dry, but what has changed is that he has lost nearly all the fat around his middle. He complains of severe stinging a second or two after the needle, which lasts about 10 seconds. The shots in his bottom are not usually painful. Other than avoiding the stomach area, do you have any other suggestions on giving a non-painful injection of Humalog?

I wonder if the injection is too shallow, perhaps hitting some nerve endings.

[Editor's comment: Try not using the alcohol, and see if that cures the stinging sensation. If so, continue without it (use soap and water if the skin is dirty!). WWQ]