Question:

From Miami, Florida, USA:

I noticed your response to a question about penicillin leading to low blood sugars. I have type 1 diabetes, I am taking an antibiotic, and I have noticed a similar significant drop in my insulin requirements while on it. My endocrinologist says my blood tests are all normal. Isn't it possible that antibiotics are the cause of the lower blood sugars?

Answer:

I do not know of any association of taking antibiotics with reduced insulin requirements unless the treatment of the infection has stopped all the counter-regulatory hormones that caused the need for more insulin in the first place.

Posted to Other Medications