Question:

From Dayton, New Jersey, USA:

My daughter is a cheerleader with the PAL in our town and attends one competition yearly. It is imperative that either my husband or I sit with her to supervise her pump therapy. The township PAL made it very difficult this weekend and we need to know her rights. Can an organization prevent a parent from being with a child with diabetes during an event?

Answer:

If an organization focuses on children at their events, I can't imagine they would want the liability of excluding parents, especially of those that have medical conditions. This is a safety issue, and unless they want to have a licensed medical professional who is trained in insulin pump therapy available for your daughter's safety, they should allow you or your husband to stand by.

HVS

[Editor's comment: This sounds like discrimination, and I would contact your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association (or the national office) for assistance with this problem. SS]

Posted to Other Social Issues