Question:

From Hillsdale, New Jersey, USA:

My 13 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and on a pump for about a month, is adjusting pretty well, but I am concerned because he is an avid wrestler for his school team, and will start practices soon. He is using the MiniMed Silhouette infusion set and will, of course, disconnect the insulin pump for practices and matches. However, what can he do to protect himself from injury with the infusion set? How can he keep it from coming dislodged during daily practice when cannot do a site change daily? Any advice and suggestions would help alleviate our concerns.

Answer:

I do not think he will have problems with the catheter becoming dislodged, because the Silhouette seems to stay in pretty well. I know when he is wrestling his skin can fold and bunch up, so he will want to be sure the catheter itself does not come out. If there are any problems with adhesion, he should contact the pump supplier for information on various adhesives to use.

As long as he disconnects the infusion set, he should not have any problems with injury from it, but he may need to wear some tight-fitting "wrestler briefs" (like a girdle) under his wrestling trunks. These seem to work well to protect the small end of the Silhouette that sticks out once the infusion set is removed and will help to hold the end and catheter in place. His coach would know about these most likely.

LSF

[Editor's comment: See Products Available to help keep the infusion set on our skin at the Insulin Pumpers web site. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps