From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I am a 26 year old female and have had type 1 diabetes for four and a half years. In a recent college-level nutrition class, the instructor told us that people with diabetes do not have the ability to convert beta carotene to vitamin A in their livers and need to take a supplemental form of the preformed vitamin. I had never heard of anything like this, and I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable. Could you please comment?

Rather surprisingly, there is a single Japanese report that supports this hypothesis in laboratory rats, but there is no evidence that this is of significance in the management of type 1 diabetes in humans.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations