Question:

From Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA:

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I used to occasionally smoke marijuana on the weekends. If I wanted to resume it again, would there be any problems or side effects with my medications? If I shouldn't, please tell me.

Answer:

This is a commonly asked question. The brief answer is no, you shouldn't use it. The more complicated question is where are you at with the marijuana? Obviously, with diabetes, you want to live a healthy lifestyle. I am not sure the decision to use marijuana is a good decision in that direction. There are many unanswered questions. What is the interaction with the other medications? What is the potential for a serious low sugar while smoking? What is the effect of the drug on the tissues that are affected by diabetes? Some of these questions can be answered, but many cannot because of lack of data. This puts you in a position of not knowing, for sure, what the effects will be.

Posted to Behavior