From Raleigh, North Carolina, USA:

My 23 year old son was recently in a car accident, and his sugar level was 42 mg/dl [2.3 mmol/L]. He was given glucose at the hospital, and it rose to 200 mg/dl [11.1mmol/L], but within the hour, it dropped to 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L]. He did not remember anything about the accident. In the past, my son has symptoms of being cold, having shaky hands, feeling very tired, and being and forgetful. We have a family history of diabetes. Should I be persistent in acquiring more tests?

The biggest issue is his frequent hypoglycemia. This has to be decreased in a manner similar to intensive control of high sugars. It requires frequent monitoring, ana analysis of daily activities and meals. If he doesn't decrease his frequency of hypoglycemia, he is at risk for additional accidents. Please have him see his physician with the goal of decreasing these serious low blood sugar episodes.

[Editor's comment: If his physician is unsure what to advise, your son should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. WWQ]