From Nebo, North Carolina, USA:

My four and a half year old son may need to have surgery. Is there anything different I would need to do with him?

Depending on the nature of the surgery, the planned time and duration, and the insulin doses your son receives, this is a specific question that you should address with his diabetes physician/team. However in general, most folks are asked to not eat nor drink for about eight hours before any type of general anesthesia. Since this might make your son's glucose levels higher, and since often IV fluids with sugar may be used during the procedure which can also cause higher sugars, and since your son might feel scared or "stressed" which can lead to higher sugars too, insulin must still be given! However, the dose must be adjusted. Often any short-acting insulin (Regular, Novolog, or Humalog) will be significantly reduced (or held all together that morning). Intermediate-acting insulin (NPH or Lente) may be adjusted down a bit, too. Long-acting insulin (Ultralente or Lantus [insulin glargine]) may not need to be adjusted. Contact your son's diabetes team well before this surgery for specific instructions!

[Editor's comment: See Surgery Pre-Op Advice for some additional thoughts. SS]

Posted to Surgery