Question:

From Pompano Beach, Florida, USA:

My six year old, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago, is becoming lazy about her diabetes and resists most anything I ask her to do including checking blood sugars and eating scheduled meals. She doesn't have a big appetite, but she really needs to gain some weight. I'm wondering if most parents experience this. I am the main care giver as her dad works a lot of hours, and I just wonder how to deal with her outbursts like saying I'm so mean because I make her check her finger, get after her to finish her meals, etc.

Answer:

This pretty typical after about a year of diabetes. You'd have to be crazy not to be tired of it all -- which proves your daughter isn't crazy. That said, we know you have to keep it up. You are the boss and need for her to understand. You may need to talk to your daughter's doctor about a referral to a mental health professional who is expert in children with diabetes. Ask and pursue. You are right, you need to continue to monitor, and give insulin as prescribed. You may want to get an updated consult to learn about carbohydrate counting and meal insulin.

Posted to Behavior