Question:

From Austerlitz, New York, USA:

My 82 year old mom is currently taking NPH with Regular in the morning and just NPH at bedtime, but now her doctor wants to start 45 units of Lantus (insulin glargine) at bedtime along with 3 units of Humalog at breakfast and 3 units of Humalog at dinner. How do I start this new program? Do I give her Lantus tonight instead of the NPH shot and then give her Humalog tomorrow morning and dinner time and finish off with Lantus tomorrow at bedtime? How much insulin is in a unit?

Answer:

You should talk to your mother's doctors or the rest of the medical team to be sure you understand what they are trying to do, how to go about the transition, why they want to change, and what their goals are for her.