From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have had typeá1 diabetes for approximately three years. I have been proactive in controlling it (hemoglobin A1cs: 5.5-6.5%) with the use of diet, exercise, and insulin, and presently I am trying to find a way to start training for a marathon for team diabetes. I am feeling over whelmed with all of the conflicting information that is out there so I have also turned to the holistic world for some help with my disease.

Can you recommend a clinic or educational program that will tailor to my needs as a young adult with diabetes? I would prefer a program that is open to the holistic healing aspect as well as cutting edge technological advancements.

For your needs it would be hard to beat Taking Control of Your Diabetes, a non-profit educational and motivational conference and health fair held in various cities around the United States. Steven V. Edelman, MD, who himself has diabetes, leads the organization.

[Editor's comment: Since you are interested in training for a marathon, you might also contact the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association. SS]

Posted to Community Resources and Exercise and Sports