From Lombard, Illinois, USA:

I'm a 54 year old male with heart disease, and recently my glucose test was 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L]. Typically, what are the percentages of carbohydrates, protein, and amount of sugar guidelines? Also what are normal values for glucose and hemoglobin A1c?

Calorie intake is based on size and activity. Therefore, before you can have a dietary prescription written for you, you need to see a dietitian to discuss lifestyle. Percentages of total calories for carbohydrates include 50% daily calories. Protein would be 20% of daily calories, and fat would be 30% of daily calories. The fat content of usual diets is the big kicker with the majority of Americans eating well over 40% of their total calories as fat calories.

The glucose of 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L doesn't sound bad, but you need to specify whether this is fasting or not. Most sugars should be 70-120 mg/dl [3.9-6.7 mmol/L] before meals and bedtime and less than 140 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L] two hours after meals.

The normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test changes with the lab you use -- so know the normal range at your lab. However, the important point here is to target an A1c less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for that lab.

[Editor's comment: I suggest that you ask for a referral to a dietitian to help you develop an appropriate meal plan to help with your diabetes and heart disease. SS]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Meal Planning, Food and Diet