Question:

From Lombard, Illinois, USA:

I'm a 54 year old male with heart disease, and recently my glucose test was 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L]. Typically, what are the percentages of carbohydrates, protein, and amount of sugar guidelines? Also what are normal values for glucose and hemoglobin A1c?

Answer:

Calorie intake is based on size and activity. Therefore, before you can have a dietary prescription written for you, you need to see a dietitian to discuss lifestyle. Percentages of total calories for carbohydrates include 50% daily calories. Protein would be 20% of daily calories, and fat would be 30% of daily calories. The fat content of usual diets is the big kicker with the majority of Americans eating well over 40% of their total calories as fat calories.

The glucose of 132 mg/dl [7.3 mmol/L doesn't sound bad, but you need to specify whether this is fasting or not. Most sugars should be 70-120 mg/dl [3.9-6.7 mmol/L] before meals and bedtime and less than 140 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L] two hours after meals.

The normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test changes with the lab you use -- so know the normal range at your lab. However, the important point here is to target an A1c less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for that lab.

[Editor's comment: I suggest that you ask for a referral to a dietitian to help you develop an appropriate meal plan to help with your diabetes and heart disease. SS]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Meal Planning, Food and Diet