From Elyria, Ohio, USA:

I am a 34 year old male, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago after being admitted with a 1370 mg/dl [76.1 mmol/L] blood glucose and a hemoglobin A1c of 14%, and now I seem to be in a honeymoon period as I have cut back shots to less than 10% of previous dosages while maintaining stable glucose levels. I am also on Glucophage [metformin]. Is it recommended that I continue my low level insulin shots even though they might not be necessary? I have heard that doing so can help prolong the honeymoon period.

It is commonly described that good control during the honeymoon phase maximizes its duration. I would suggest you want to maximize your sugar control, but you have to use good decision-making because it is undesirable to have low sugars all the time. I suggest you check with your physician about your insulin dosing.

Posted to Honeymoon