From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 17 years with no complications, but lately, if I rise too quickly from a chair, or from a prone position, I feel faint. Two weeks ago, I felt a terrific pounding in the back of my head -- I thought my head would explode. I was trying to lift something at the time. I promptly stopped, but felt nauseated the rest of the day. There have been no recurrences. Are these two things related? Are they the result of my type 1 diabetes?

I would make sure you review these symptoms with your physician. You can get orthostatic hypotension [low blood pressure upon standing] as a result of the nerves being involved with diabetes. Specifically, the nerves of the autonomic nervous system, which control blood pressure, breathing, heart rate, bladder and bowel emptying can all be involved. Generally, there is evidence of other neuropathy.

An additional thought is whether you have adrenal insufficiency as the cause of your symptoms. This condition is characterized by autoimmune damage to the adrenals which decreases cortisol production. Symptoms include dizziness with upright posture, nausea, and recurrent hypoglycemia.