Question:

From West Roxbury, Massachusetts, USA:

I'm wondering if there is any special accommodation for children with diabetes taking standardized tests. I'm specifically wondering about the SATs, but the question is also more general. Obvious concerns are the unanticipated low blood sugars during timed portions of tests, need to keep snacks and testing equipment at hand, etc. I have not found any information specific to diabetes on this issue, but it must come up often.

Answer:

I believe the answer is yes, with proper documentation from that child's diabetes team, of course. You should check with the school counsellor and your local American Diabetes Association affiliate. See Information about testing accommodations on the Educational Testing Service site.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare