Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from November 2001

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. About 10 months ago, my best friend's 18 years old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes which her doctor thinks had been undiagnosed for a couple of years. She is always sick, bedridden, and has been hospitalized on several occasions. At one point, the doctor didn't think she would survive and no medication is working for her. Can you recommend a facility that specializes in this in our area of where she can take her for help? (29 Nov 2001)

2. Can most or all complications be avoided if diabetes is detected early and is properly managed (regular monitoring, proper diet, insulin shots)? (29 Nov 2001)

3. My six week old baby was delivered at 36 weeks of gestation and has congenital diabetes along with severe head sparing intrauterine growth retardation. They have tried to get the diabetes controlled but are not having much luck. We understand this is a very rare disorder, that often it is transitional and will resolve by three to six months of age, but we would appreciate any information that you may have. (29 Nov 2001)

4. My 54 year old mother, recently developed diabetes treated with insulin, she works on her feet all day and loves to soak them. I was told recently that foot soakers are not good for her. Is that true? If she can use a foot soaker, what should my mom do to protect her feet when using it? (29 Nov 2001)

5. My 10 year old daughter, who has had diabetes for about six years, was on NPH with a sliding scale of Regular (which worked well) up until two weeks ago when she saw a new doctor (who mostly deals with adults) and was changed to Humalog and Ultralente. Her levels now have been between 230-500 mg/dl [12.8-27.8 mmol/L] with a few lows. This doctor gave us no diet plan and I am concerned ! What do you suggest I do ? (29 Nov 2001)

6. I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I am treated with diet and exercise. Are there over the counter medications that raise glucose, such as nasal spray, antihistamines, decongestants, etc? (29 Nov 2001)

7. Where can I find out about diabetes and the genetic engineering of insulin? I need to know how genetic engineering helped develop Insulin production. (29 Nov 2001)

8. I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago, and I am treated with diet and exercise. Can you explain the progression that takes place for a person with type 2 diabetes who is diet controlled to one who needs medications? What is the doctor looking at the fasting levels, the A1C, and the highest daily elevations? There seems to be a variety of opinions out there on when someone should take oral medications. Is there a consensus paper written anywhere that has any criteria that I could read? (29 Nov 2001)

9. I have had diabetes for 18 years which at first was diagnosed as type 1, but now they say I'm type 2. I have managed to keep fair control with an A1c of 7%, but my last one was 11%. I have been put on one shot a day of a new insulin called Lantus. Would you think I should stay on my same diet plan? (29 Nov 2001)

10. My six year old has had several severe reactions even though his blood sugar level appears to be okay. Are these reactions normal in children with diabetes? What is the best way to deal with them? (29 Nov 2001)

11. I am 39, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about six months ago I had trace ketones the day after I had a chocolate milkshake which raised me to almost 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. Are occasional trace ketones okay if they don't persist? (29 Nov 2001)

12. My 13 year old son woke this morning with blood and brown clots in his urine; he has no symptoms other than urge to urinate. A CAT scan was negative for kidney stones. He is on a pump and usually uses 35-40 units of insulin daily, but about two days ago, I noticed he had used 66 units. Could this over use of insulin have affected his bladder or kidney function? (29 Nov 2001)

13. Our three and a half year old daughter was diagnosed at age 12 months with DKA and was non-responsive for about 48 hours. She seems to have been developing normally, is bright, and is in decent control with the help of an insulin pump. Should we be concerned about any long lasting effects of her initial DKA almost three years ago? (28 Nov 2001)

14. I have one fifth grade student with type 1 diabetes who is on a pump. His very knowledgeable about his diabetes, but when his blood glucose is low, he becomes very angry, mean, and nasty. I try to insist but this makes him even angrier. Do I have the right to physically check his blood glucose even if I have to have help restraining him? What do you suggest? (28 Nov 2001)

15. My seven year old son has type 1 diabetes and currently attends a Catholic school. Are there any laws, or are any being discussed, governing his care at a private school? I'm always being told absolutely no blood testing in the classroom. Do I have any basis to fight that? (28 Nov 2001)

16. Our daughter was recently screened for diabetes and her triglyceride was 425 mg/dl. Where should we go from here? (28 Nov 2001)

17. I am 30 years old, have had diabetes for 26 years, and I have been wondering for a long time now how my having diabetes affects other family members (my family as I was growing up and in my own family that I have now). (28 Nov 2001)

18. My son five year old is small for his age and is being followed by a pediatric endocrinologist, but I am concerned because recently wants to eat constantly. As much as he eats, he is not gaining any weight at all. Should I be concerned about his failure to gain weight? Is there any correlation between a growth disorder and diabetes? (28 Nov 2001)

19. My 83 year old father has had type 2 diabetes treated with glyburide for three months as a result of cancer (not terminal) and needs to regain 30 pounds. However, we are confused about how to manage his diet and weight gain. He has been advised to eat several small meals a day (because of the surgery), but a simple meal plan for getting the calories in and staying within a diabetic meal plan is not clear. (28 Nov 2001)

20. I have had type 1 diabetes since age 12, and my 10 year old son had a negative antibody test when he was three. Should this test be repeated at intervals? If so, how often? (28 Nov 2001)

21. How is artificial insulin made? (28 Nov 2001)

22. I have diabetes, and I am worried that there will be loads of people looking after me who don't really know me! Who is involved in the care of people with diabetes? What do they all do? (28 Nov 2001)

23. My 11 year old black lab has been living with diabetes for three and a half years and was under control until four months ago when her blood sugars crept up into the 500 mg/dl [mmol/L] range. Her doctor changed her to Ultralente twice a day, and she seems to do fine for three or four days with blood sugars around 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but then she gets hypoglycemic, usually shortly before her next meal. Is this because we are using Ultralente? (27 Nov 2001)

24. My 56 year husband, who takes U-500 insulin, is continuing to gain weight and becoming depressed. What information do you have on U-500 insulin? (27 Nov 2001)

25. My husband has had diabetes for almost 50 years and has been working at the same job for 26 years. All his evaluations in the past have been very good, but last year he got a new supervisor who is not very considerate with him. I feel she wants him to give up and leave. I know he is strong, and he is not leaving his job. If you have some suggestions on what to do, please let us know. (27 Nov 2001)

26. My 10 year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for five years and is on a pump with A1cs always less than 7.4%, has been complaining of numbness and pain in her right arm. She has a hard time testing using that hand to get blood from her fingers. Could this be carpal tunnel syndrome at age 10? (27 Nov 2001)

27. I am 44 years old and have been taking 1000 mg of Glucophage XR per day for about nine months, yet my blood sugar is still usually in the 160-180 mg/dl [8.9 10mmol/L] range, including my morning glucose reading. Isn't the morning reading supposed to be lower? What could be causing this? (27 Nov 2001)

28. I am a 47 years old, I use an insulin pump, and my A1c is 6.9%, but recently I have experienced extreme fatigue. I have seen three doctors, including my diabetes specialist, but I still have no explanation. Any ideas input would be appreciated. (27 Nov 2001)

29. My eight year old niece, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago, developed cerebral edema from DKA and miraculously lived through it. However, she suffered brain damage and hasn't stopped crying since she's woken up nor can she walk or talk. Her parents are concerned about her recovery because there are so few cases out there for doctors to reference. Do you know of any other cases of children who have survived this condition? Do you have information on how they have recovered? (27 Nov 2001)

30. I am 39 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, diagnosed about six months ago, and I have frequent urinary tract infections. Are frequent urinary tract infections a symptom or indication of future kidney disease? You say urinary tract infections are related to estrogen. Is there an estrogen product that would help with this? (27 Nov 2001)

31. My two year old son has type 1 diabetes and is in good control, but I want to know how long it takes for certain foods with carbs to start working. I know sugar alone or candy works right away, but when I give him rice or pasta, I can test him an hour later and he is still low. How many carbs should he have for each unit of insulin? We've been giving him 1 Unit for each serving (15 grams). Is this correct? (27 Nov 2001)

32. I am a first year medical student currently studying diabetes as part of my course. Please could tell me if you believe there to be any inequality within the 'system'? (27 Nov 2001)

33. Our eight year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, seems to be very sensitive to Humalog and NPH. She currently is on Ultralente. She monitors eight or more times a day, but still has lows weekly. How damaging are these lows to her developing brain if they have not progressed into a severe reaction? (27 Nov 2001)

34. My four year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago, has A1c levels from 6.5-7%, but in attempting to maintain good glycemic control, he experiences occasional low blood sugar levels less than 50 mg/dl [2.8 mmol/L] usually related to increased physical activity. Is hypoglycemic unawareness inevitable in a child in which tight control is practiced? (26 Nov 2001)

35. My 31 year old partner stopped smoking four months ago, and since then has had severe problems with his diabetes control. He does not eat differently, but has high glucose levels even when he has trained in the gym, and he is taking more insulin. Do you know of a connection between quitting smoking and changed insulin sensitivity? Is this normal? What can he do? (26 Nov 2001)

36. I am insulin resistant and have been on Glucophage. Since then, I am eating healthier, I am exercising three to four times a week, and I have lost 10 pounds. However, I really get hungry, usually an hour or two after eating. I am eating healthy food and snacks, but being so hungry is really annoying. Is that normal for people who have their blood sugar levels under control to still be hungry all the time? (26 Nov 2001)

37. I am a 23 year old male, with diabetes for 15 years currently in good control (last A1c was 8.6%) and my blood tests were all normal except for signs of elevated thyroid antibodies. My doctor informed me this doesn't need treatment but needing watching. Should I be concerned? What could this mean for me long term? I am gathering the idea that most likely it is easily treated if it becomes a problem. Is this the case? (26 Nov 2001)

38. My son has lost three pounds, even though his growth is normal. His endocrinologist was concerned with the weight loss and my son's complaint of stomachaches so he ordered several blood tests which were all normal except for a low white blood cell count. They have repeated the test, and we should know results in a few days, but in the meantime should this cause us concern? Are there any autoimmune related illnesses with a low WBC? (26 Nov 2001)

39. I am an 18 year old female who is not overweight, and three months after being diagnosed with celiac disease, I was hospitalized with pancreatitis. My mom and I are concerned that the pancreatitis and the recent diagnosis of celiac disease, in addition to a family history of type 1 diabetes, have put me more at risk for the development of diabetes. (26 Nov 2001)

40. I have type 1 diabetes and have very good glucose control, but when I run for exercise in the mornings my blood sugar will go up instead of down. (26 Nov 2001)

41. My 12 year old son has newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes, and we are to travel to Barbados on a two weeks holiday. What brands and strengths of insulin are available on the island? (26 Nov 2001)

42. How does MDMA [Ecstacy] affect people with type 1 diabetes? How does it affect blood sugar levels? (26 Nov 2001)

43. I wonder, eighty years after insulin was discovered, whether there is any reason to hope the diabetes industry, which also has control over research for a cure, will ever choose to put itself out of business by giving us patients what we want? (26 Nov 2001)

44. If you ate sugar on a constant basis while younger but cut back significantly in your late teens, are you more at risk for hypoglycemia? (25 Nov 2001)

45. My 72 year old mother, who is very obese and has syndrome X, claims she read an article published by a major research institute that says diabetes may be caused by environmental factors such as pollution. I believe she is in a bit of denial. I have searched many places on the Internet and cannot find anything about environment and pollution as possible causes of diabetes. Can you help direct me to anything she might be talking about? (25 Nov 2001)

46. I am in my 40s, have had type 2 diabetes for six years, and since starting insulin a year ago, I have gained 20 pounds. I seem to want to eat more often, even when I am not hungry. What effect does insulin have on my increased weight? Why is it more difficulty to control my urge to eat? (25 Nov 2001)

47. I have type 2 diabetes and today my mid-afternoon blood sugar read 563 mg/dl [31.2 mmol/L]. Should I go to the ER with the blood glucose this high? (25 Nov 2001)

48. Do you know of any beneficial effects of almonds on lowering blood glucose levels? (25 Nov 2001)

49. Please answer these questions about children on insulin pumps. (25 Nov 2001)

50. My son has Charcot's foot, treated conventionally without success so his doctor has suggested that since he is young, surgery may be an answer. Can you advise where I can find out more information about this type of surgery? (25 Nov 2001)

51. My three year old son has type 1 diabetes, and my wife recently heard that cinnamon helps bring down blood sugar levels. Is this true? (25 Nov 2001)

52. I am 47 years old, have had type 1 diabetes for 35 years, and I have always been stable and on the same dose, but, recently I seem to need to keep increasing my long acting insulin. Does the approach of menopause affect blood sugar levels in women with type 1? (25 Nov 2001)

53. During a checkup at school, they found a black velvety ring on the back of my 10 year daughter's neck, and they think she may be type 2 diabetes, but no one in family has it. Does someone in your family have to have type 2 diabetes in order for your child to get it? Are there any reasons out there for someone could get it? (25 Nov 2001)

54. I am 13 years old, and have been on an insulin pump for six months. I am starting to get very independent with my diabetes care, but my mom (who has always been there and taken care of me) thinks I'm trying to take over and put her out of my life! What should I do? (24 Nov 2001)

55. From last four years, I have had a sugar problem which I am trying to control by walking and food. In recent days I have found that during the day my sugar levels stay okay, but in the early in morning it has been elevated. Recently, I have used Heel "Syzygium compositum N" and now I am trying "Glucorect PK 26". Could you please advise me in this case? (24 Nov 2001)

56. I am concerned about my four year old nephew who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year ago. I just want to know if it's really nothing to worry about or if I should have a talk with his parents since they really take in consideration to what I have to say. (24 Nov 2001)

57. I have had diabetes for about eight years which has been in control for the last five years, but my doctor seems to be procrastinating about putting me on a pump. What should I do? (24 Nov 2001)

58. A friend has a 10 year old with headaches. She was just told by an eye doctor that the child has diabetes in the eyes. Her pediatrician is putting her off till next week to get the results from the eye doctor first. Where can she take her child to get a glucose before then? What is this all about? (24 Nov 2001)

59. I'm interested in learning more about the specific constituents of cow's milk, such as the betacaseins. I would like to know if it is possible to know if the milk sold in the grocery store contains betacasein A1, A2 or B? Also, I've read that, theoretically, soy based products have as much risk as dairy products. Why is that? (24 Nov 2001)

60. My doctor says that Starlix will not work if you have taken glyburide before! I find no research or evidence of this. (24 Nov 2001)

61. My 12 year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 11 months ago, sometimes complains that his legs feel "restless" when his blood sugar is high. He shakes his legs, trying to relieve his pain. A long walk does tend to help him feel better. I have asked his endocrinologist about this, but she has never heard of this symptom. What do you think it could be? (24 Nov 2001)

62. My 82 year old aunt, who has type 2 diabetes, is treated with several medications and has developed muscle pain in her upper legs and buttocks, and the discomfort is getting worse. Could her medication or the combination of several drugs be the cause of this pain? (24 Nov 2001)

63. I have had type 2 diabetes for almost five years, and I understand researchers are making good progress these days in developing remedies for type 1 diabetes through islet cell and stem cell research, but I am wondering if there is any development in finding a cure for type 2. (24 Nov 2001)

64. Could you point me at a plasma-to-whole-blood conversion chart for mmol/L? (23 Nov 2001)

65. My son is 25 months old, and his grandmother insists on constantly giving him nothing but sugary foods. Can he get diabetes as a result of ingesting too much sugar? (23 Nov 2001)

66. An acquaintance told me she has type 2 diabetes which is the same as hypoglycemia. Is that true? (23 Nov 2001)

67. I am a 22 year old who has type 1 diabetes, and I am on the higher end of my weight scale. My diabetes educator wants me to start taking Glucophage because she thinks that I might have some insulin resistance, whereas my doctor says that there isn't enough research to proceed with this plan. Can you give me any more information to help me make a decision (23 Nov 2001)

68. My grandmother, diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about one and a half years ago, has a friend who tries to give her advice. Recently, she told my grandmother that she shouldn't get into a hot tub because she has diabetes, but didn't explain why. (23 Nov 2001)

69. Our 10 year old daughter has gained over 40 pounds in the past 11 months, and her doctor said she has darker colored skin markings under her arms, which is a sign of adult diabetes. The doctor did a (non-fasting) blood test without fasting. How accurate can a non-fasting blood sugar be? What does the skin discoloration mean? (23 Nov 2001)

70. I have a few questions concerning the herb gymnema sylvestre. I am looking at it as a tool to help adults wean themselves off of there sugar habit and help children that are resistant to reducing their sugar intake. (23 Nov 2001)

71. My 12 year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, has very high protein in her urine, but her kidney biopsy and blood tests were all negative, and her blood pressure is great. Now her doctor wants to try blood pressure medication to slow down the kidney filtration. Could there be any other reason as to why she is leaking so much protein? (23 Nov 2001)

72. I am 63 years old, was diagnosed with type2 diabetes two weeks ago, and the doctor says I drink too much water,so I urinate more. Won't that drain salt out of my body? If I take extra salt to restore my body's level, won't that increase my increase blood pressure? (23 Nov 2001)

73. About a year ago, my daughter started having urinary tract infections, one right after another. Two months ago, her urologist prescribed medication once a day for her, but this week she had another infection. No one can find out why she has these infections and blood sugars in the 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L] range. Do you have any suggestions? (23 Nov 2001)

74. Six months ago, my sister was diagnosed with lupus, about a year ago, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and recently, I have developed symptoms of diabetes. I will have the results of my blood tests later this week. Is there a connection with these diseases? (22 Nov 2001)

75. I had a fasting blood sugar done which was 196 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L] which is strange since my first test (which was random after about five hours after eating) was 181 mg/dl [10.5 mmol/L]. I am at a real loss here! I did fast for almost nine hours. (22 Nov 2001)

76. A cousin in Italy is trying to locate a product for his nephew called, " A1cNow," here in the States that he cannot obtain in Italy. I have contacted several pharmacies, but no one seems to know anything about this product. Can you help? (22 Nov 2001)

77. My five year old daughter, diagnosed at the age of 18 months, has a lot of problems with hypoglycemia at night. She is starting school in a week, and I was wondering if a pump would help her get better control of her diabetes. (22 Nov 2001)

78. I am 15 years old and as an infant, I had a sub-total pancreatectomy because of nesidioblastosis which has left me with type 1 diabetes. Are there any tests I need to go through before I can have children? If I had children in the future would they be at a higher risk of developing nesidioblastosis? (22 Nov 2001)

79. My daughter complains of being tired, but has a problem sleeping and she said she starts shaking in midmorning. She prefers a high carbohydrate diet. Because we have family member with type 2 diabetes, I have checked some blood sugars 30 minutes after meals which have been 100-166 mg/dl [5.6-9.2 mmol/L] Is this abnormal? (22 Nov 2001)

80. His doctor says my son has hypoglycemia and that I should increase his protein intake, but I am not satisfied and need more information. (22 Nov 2001)

81. My five year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about a year and a half ago and just got an insulin pump a month ago. We are having problems getting diluent for the Humalog unless we get it through our endocrinologist which is 65 miles away. (22 Nov 2001)

82. Since she was three, my now seven year old daughter has passed out about five times in the early morning before eating for not apparent reason, but the last time we took her to the hospital they said her blood sugar was low. They got her some juice, but nothing else was ever said about it. Heart and seizure problems have been ruled out. Should we be more concerned about the low blood sugar? (22 Nov 2001)

83. I am quite large, have had diabetes for almost 21 years, and for the last few years, I seem to overeat compulsively. It's kind of like it's all or nothing for me. Is gastric bypass an accepted and safe procedure for people with diabetes? (22 Nov 2001)

84. After a hypo I always go hyper. Is there a way I can avoid or reduce this upswing? I usually respond to a hypo with a small glass of fruit juice. (22 Nov 2001)

85. My husband has type 2 diabetes, diagnosed about a year and a half ago. What are the side effects of the pill taken by men? Does it make a man feel numbness in his penis? If, so please explain. (21 Nov 2001)

86. I am 57 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for about 50 years. The paramedics were being called once a week because of my low blood sugars. I am scared and I don't know what to do. Are there any adult diabetes camps/clinics? (21 Nov 2001)

87. Can somebody with type 2 diabetes take prescription diet drugs along with antidepressants? (21 Nov 2001)

88. We have a family history of diabetes, I am concerned about my two year old son and six year old daughter. Is it ever okay to just ask the doctor to check for diabetes in my children or is there some sort of home test I can do? (21 Nov 2001)

89. Our 13 year old son who has had type 1 diabetes for approximately two years and recently started using a pump, wrestles, and keeping them in place and avoiding discomfort during wrestling has proven challenging. We cannot justify changing the set every day due to the associated cost. Do you have any suggestions how we might manage the infusion set during wrestling season? (21 Nov 2001)

90. My 27 year old sister, who has had diabetes since age six, has a lot of serious problems and needs to see a specialist in any state because no doctor here has helped. Please send me a list of clinics or hospitals in any state that specialize in diabetes. (21 Nov 2001)

91. What would you say to a person with type 2 diabetes who would like to start taking colloidal minerals on a regular basis? Do you think this harmful or helpful? Is there any research being done at the current time? (21 Nov 2001)

92. My eight year son, who has had type 1 diabetes diabetes for 15 months, had a microalbumin of 26, and his A1c results have been 5.9-7.1%. Is this a fluke or a sign of beginning kidney problems? (21 Nov 2001)

93. I am a 30 year old with type 1 diabetes and am on an ACE inhibitor, another blood pressure pill, and a water pill, along with various other medications. I have been told I have anemia and have had numerous tests done to rule out the cause, but, since they were all normal, the doctors came to the conclusion that I was getting too high of a dosage of an ACE inhibitor. Have you ever heard of this? There was a discrepancy between some of the doctors as to the validity to this. Do you think that this is too much medication? (21 Nov 2001)

94. I am 16 years old, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes eight months ago, and I am a junior in high school. Is there a scholarship available for children with type 2 diabetes? (21 Nov 2001)

95. Since diabetes runs in my family, as a precautionary method we frequently test ourselves on a home monitor, and my four year old's blood sugar was 215 mg/dl [11.9 mmol/L]. However, we did notice after we had done it that strip was outdated. Will that affect the result great deal? (20 Nov 2001)

96. My three year old son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about four months ago, has had a "bad stomach" for about 16 months. An internist said he had no symptoms of gluten allergy, and we took lactose out of his diet, but nothing changed. What else can he be checked for? (20 Nov 2001)

97. My mom thinks that my dad has diabetes (so does everyone else) because it runs in the family really badly, and he has been showing a lot of signs, now I have been showing some signs and I'm only 13! I was wondering if you could help me and my father. I'm almost positive that my dad has it, but all he does is deny. Can you help me and my father? (20 Nov 2001)

98. My daughter's endocrinologist said that usually a third shot at bedtime is done with NPH, but since she was already on Lente we would try it. I thought that Lente and NPH were basically the same. What is the difference? (20 Nov 2001)

99. My seven year old son has been on the insulin pump for about five months, and his first A1c since starting was 5.7%. We are very happy with the results! However, his doctor thought that too low for a child. What are we doing wrong? Why would his doctor not cheer about the 5.7% when we are not having lows, and he really is responding well to the pump? What is an acceptable A1c? (19 Nov 2001)

100. My wife who has type 2 diabetes and proliferative diabetic retinopathy has had laser surgery and vitrectomies in both eyes. She has been on medical leave from her job, but that is about to expire. How long should it take for her vision to return? When her medical leave expires, will she be eligible for any kind of disability until her vision does return? (19 Nov 2001)

101. In a previous question from someone else, it was commented that a physician was not a big fan of using a sliding scale. Can he elaborate? (19 Nov 2001)

102. I am thirsty a lot so I drink lots of water (12 16-ounce bottles per day or more), and I urinate a lot as well which I have attributed that to the amount of water that I drink. Recently, two urine tests showed that my urine was diluted. Could this indicate to me that I possibly could have diabetes? (19 Nov 2001)

103. Our six year old daughter, diagnosed with diabetes at the age of two, recently she has been complaining of bad stomach pains. The doctor thought she might be having problems with constipation, but have taken care of that problem, and she still complains of stomach pain. Is there any connection between the stomach pain and diabetes? (19 Nov 2001)

104. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about seven months ago, and since then I have seen studies that show that children with type 1 diabetes can also have celiac sprue, and I have been wondering if this means that people with celiac disease, like me, are also at risk for type 1 diabetes or if it only works the other way around. (19 Nov 2001)

105. I was diagnosed with "evolving type 1" diabetes about a month ago. At the time of diagnosis, my blood glucose was 486 mg/dl [27 mmol/L], I had glucose and ketones in my urine and my A1c was 8.6%. Other lab tests showed a normal C-peptide level, positive Gad65 antibodies, and an elevated urine albumin level. Is there any way to stop the destruction of my beta cells while I still have some of them? (19 Nov 2001)

106. What is it about dark-coloured diet pop and artificial sweeteners that makes it dangerous for people with diabetes to drink? Is it true that the above has been linked to other illnesses such as MS? Are the diet caffeine-free dark-coloured pops safe to drink for people with diabetes? (19 Nov 2001)

107. I am a recovering alcoholic and I do not have diabetes, but my last blood work showed a blood sugar level of 192 mg/dl [10.7 mmol/L]. My doctor said this is common in recovering alcoholics. Is this so? Should I be concerned? (19 Nov 2001)

108. I am a 37 year old male recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes who is currently taking Glucophage. My blood sugar average is 120 mg/dl [mmol/L], but my fasting is always on the high side. What causes this? (19 Nov 2001)

109. When my son has a high blood sugar level before gym, he is not allowed to participate to prevent any adverse reactions. Can the coach use his absence from class at that time as an excuse to grade him lower than his classmates? (18 Nov 2001)

110. I am a 38 year old male with diabetes treated with twice daily NPH insulin. Normally I wake up with blood sugars of 100-110 mg/dl [5.5-6.1 mmol/L], but postprandial levels in some cases of 300 mg/dl [16.7 mmol/L]. Can I use Regular insulin mixed with the NPH in the morning and NPH at night? (18 Nov 2001)

111. My son now takes two shots per day of NPH with Humalog and is starting to need increased doses of both. His pre-dinner blood sugar levels have been higher recently as has his morning test. How do we switch him to three shots per day, with a shot at noon? (18 Nov 2001)

112. I am 27, have had type 2 diabetes for a little over a year, and I have recently found out that I am eight weeks pregnant. My obstetrician is recommending a diet that seems extreme and said I could get all of my carbs from fruit, and that my diet should be 50% protein, 30% complex carbs (from fruit only) and 20% "other". (18 Nov 2001)

113. I have type 2 diabetes and cataracts which my eye doctor says should be checked every six months, but I have no health insurance so I haven't seen him for over two years. When calling an "ask the doctor" session of our local TV station, a doctor suggested becoming part of a clinical trial for lens implants. Are you familiar with this procedure? (18 Nov 2001)

114. I am a 44 year old who has never been diagnosed with diabetes, but after reading about hyperglycemia and its symptoms, I suspect that this it has been a problem for me for a couple of years now. Two days ago I had a blood sugar of 181 mg/dl [10.6 mmol/L], and my doctor said come back in two weeks for a fasting level on a meter. Is this normal? Should I find another doctor who takes this a little more seriously? (18 Nov 2001)

115. I'm worried about my four year old son who is pale and has lost five pounds in the last month. The doctors found sugar and ketones in his urine test, but doesn't seem worried about this at all. I'm don't know what all this means, and there is a history of diabetes in my family (My father and grandmother both have diabetes. My grandmother died because of it.). Should I be worried? (18 Nov 2001)

116. I have type 2 diabetes and have developed hypertension. I have be treated with four different ACE inhibitors, but each time I have developed severe myalgia. Is this common? Is there any new ACE Inhibitor that is not likely to cause myalgia? (18 Nov 2001)

117. My 14 year old son has entered the world of high school athletics, and the school has built a new soccer field, but the nearest restrooms are some 300 yards away. Is this within reason? (17 Nov 2001)

118. Will a flu shot could cause a insulin reaction in a four year old who has type 1 diabetes? (17 Nov 2001)

119. My 18 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes, has been struggling with acne. Can you give me any specific information on Accutane and diabetes? (17 Nov 2001)

120. My eight year old son's endocrinologist wants to put him on a pump which we're all excited about it. The problem is, our endocrinologist's practice is a three-hour drive. How do we realistically go on the pump with no local support? (17 Nov 2001)

121. I have type 2 diabetes, and I am experiencing tingling in my feet. My endocrinologist and podiatrist say I have sensation in my feet, so no treatment has ever been recommended. Is there some other kind of testing I should be requesting? (17 Nov 2001)

122. I am a 23 year old female who has had well-controlled type 1 diabetes for 15 years, but for the past three years, I have been losing weight very badly and have become bony. Why am I losing weight? I do have frequent hypos. (17 Nov 2001)

123. A few months prior to his diagnosis of type 1 diabetes about a year ago, my 10 year old and another second grader were forcibly struck head to head by a very large sixth grader for no reason. Can a blow to the head trigger diabetes? We have absolutely no diabetes in our family and the physical changes are too coincidental with the head injury. (17 Nov 2001)

124. My son has sinus histiocytosis, with massive lymphadenopathy and I understand that with this disease he may also contract diabetes mellitus. It may be a case in which he is doing well right now, but I would like to make sure that he will be healthy in the long run. Where do I need to start? (17 Nov 2001)

125. I have been told that I should have something called my "heart rate variability" monitored, and I haven't been able to find very much information about it. What is it? Since I have diabetes, how concerned should be about it? (16 Nov 2001)

126. My two and a half year old son has been diagnosed with tremors which occur at all times of the day usually worse when waking from sleep. I was wondering if this might be caused by diabetes or something else. (16 Nov 2001)

127. My 69 year old brother-in-law has type 2 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis and has recently been diagnosed with osteomyelitis in his foot. He is on intravenous antibiotics and is currently trying hyperbaric chamber therapy to heal the infection in his foot. Unfortunately, his creatinine level keeps creeping up. What can he do to reduce that level and improve his kidney function? (16 Nov 2001)

128. My three year old son and I both have diabetes, and I have been doing a lot of research which leads me to believe that the diabetic diet is still too high in carbs. (16 Nov 2001)

129. I have had type 1 diabetes for 38 years, I have a healthy five year old son who was born six weeks early because of toxemia and, during the pregnancy, I had three major insulin reactions. However, my son is having problems with his attention span at school, and I wondering if these "crashes" (losing oxygen to my brain) could have affected my son. Could any of those problems that I went through, have any effect on my son? (16 Nov 2001)

130. Our son appeared to come off his honeymoon and went from 5 units of Lantus to 25 with Humalog at meals. He was doing very well for about three weeks, but then began having extreme lows and some highs. He went back to 5 units of Lantus and now, once again, is back to 25 units. Is it possible that he has type 1B diabetes since he has had negative antibodies on two different occasions. Is there a definite test for this? How do you deal with it? (16 Nov 2001)

131. We found information from a Turkish newspaper quoting Dr Desai's (Illinois University) successful research results. Please give further details on this research and on trials on humans. Is this a real and close hope for a cure in children with type 1 diabetes? (15 Nov 2001)

132. My son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Since this is an autoimmune disease, why can't any of the medications used for HIV or AIDS been used to protect the pancreas? (15 Nov 2001)

133. My son has recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and I am assuming he is currently in his honeymoon because each few days that go by, he requires less insulin. Does introducing an artificial hormone into the body pretty much in effect guarantee the shut down of the organ that is supposed to produce this hormone? (15 Nov 2001)

134. Last week, my brother, who has had diabetes for almost 40 years, suffered a mini-stroke. Could this have been caused by steroids given to correct dizziness? (15 Nov 2001)

135. I am 36 years old, ten weeks pregnant. I have not felt well after certain meals/snacks with a lot of sugar. I feel a little weak and lack energy after these and sometimes short of breath. Are these symptoms of gestational diabetes? Should I ask for an early test? (15 Nov 2001)

136. I am eleven and a half weeks pregnant, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about eight months ago, and my hemoglobin A1c when I found out I was pregnant was 8.5%. How much does can this affect my child? What do you suggest for me to find out exactly what (if any) birth defects the baby may have? (15 Nov 2001)

137. I have a three and a half year son with diabetes, and we test each other. My overnight fasting glucose is 100-110 mg/dl [5.6-6.1 mmol/L]. While searching your site, I found a recommendation you made to a lady with gestational diabetes that a morning blood sugar should be under 90 mg/dl [5 mmol/L]. Is that for all people? (15 Nov 2001)

138. Our six year old adopted son, who was initially diagnosed with transient neonatal diabetes and is currently on Amaryl, also has other health problems, including high cholesterol, sensory neural hearing loss (both ears), and sensory integration deficit. Could these all be part of a broader syndrome? (15 Nov 2001)

139. I have had type 1 diabetes for almost 24 years and have been down this road before, but I never went back to that particular physician. I want to try the pump, but he says, "no" and keeps on increasing my insulin. How can I make him understand? (15 Nov 2001)

140. When I switched my son to cows milk, I noticed that his blood sugars have been lower, yet cows milk has a higher sugar content. I am searching the for information on whether the growth hormones fed to dairy cows to increase lactation affect blood sugar levels. Should I switch him to organic cows milk? (15 Nov 2001)

141. I have peptic ulcer acid reflux. I haven't eaten in a month because the acid gets in my chest. What can I eat so that I won't have that problem? (15 Nov 2001)

142. My 12 year old daughter is thin but muscular and seems healthy in most respects, except that her triglyceride levels have been high for two years and are climbing (now up to 178 mg/dl), and her HDL is low (32 mg/dl). was advised to put her on a high-protein diet, and I think that's wrong, especially considering her age. Advice for diet resources for thin children with high triglycerides would be helpful since most of what I have found deals with overweight children. (14 Nov 2001)

143. I have noticed that there is correlation between my 11 year old boy's (from a very young age) moods and what he has recently eaten, in particular foods containing high sources of sugar, natural source or refined. ? I would like to find out more about the effects on mood and behavior as a result of fluctuating blood sugar levels. (14 Nov 2001)

144. I am a 29 year old who has had type 1 diabetes treated will insulin since the age of 18 months, and now my current specialist feels that I may actually have type 2 diabetes and that he may be able to take me off of insulin and use insulin sensitizing drugs. He bases his opinion on the fact that my c-peptide level is 1.4, and I had negative antibody result. Is it truly possible for antibodies to disappear over time? Is it possible that I could come off of insulin and use only oral agents? (14 Nov 2001)

145. We kept getting high blood sugar levels so we finally just tried another bottle of Humalog in the pump, and the numbers went back to normal. Now that bottle is in question. Is there a test or a way to know if the insulin is working and is as potent as another bottle of the same insulin? (14 Nov 2001)

146. My 18 year old boyfriend, who has had type 1 diabetes for a little less than a year, has recently lost a lot of weight (15 pounds) in a month, and I am concerned. His glucose levels are right around 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] with some low readings of 70-90 mg/dl [3.9-5 mmol/L]. What do you suggest I feed him to help him gain weight? (14 Nov 2001)

147. My 13 year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for about six months now and has been thinking about getting a pump. Is the pump better than the insulin injections? Some people say that it is more efficient. They love the pump, but also other people tell me that it is hard and that injecting the insulin is better. (14 Nov 2001)

148. I am 50 years old, I have had hypoglycemia since age 21, and I have chronic pancreatitis. My mother died of diabetes. What are my chances of developing diabetes? (14 Nov 2001)

149. My 15 year old son has diabetes, and in the past couple of years, I have noticed a big change in his underarm odor, even though he takes a couple of showers a day. I am wondering now if it has more to do with his diabetes, than just hormones from being a teenager. (14 Nov 2001)

150. I am almost 22 years old, I have a family history of diabetes, and I just visited the clinic on campus today for what I thought was just a recurring yeast infection that I was unable to cure. My doctor ordered a fasting blood sugar test and a hemoglobin test, and made it seem as though diabetes could be a real issue for me. I have several questions. (14 Nov 2001)

151. I have recently commenced using an insulin pump with Humalog, and I find that when I take a bolus the insulin stings, but it doesn't happen with the basal doses. Any further feedback or comments in regard to this? (14 Nov 2001)

152. My two and a half year old little boy was perfectly fine until out of nowhere he was suddenly was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. What causes a two and a half year old child to get type 1 diabetes? How true is it that he could have gotten his liver bruised or hurt and his liver went into shock? Is it that the pancreas that got hurt and went into shock? (14 Nov 2001)

153. I once had a blood sugar level of 360 mg/dl [20 mmol/L], but I lost weight and went on an exercise program and now my blood sugar level stays normal or below. Would I still be considered to have type 2 diabetes? (14 Nov 2001)

154. My daughter is definitely in a honeymoon, but I am concerned because she complains quite regularly about her stomach hurting with no other symptoms. Should I be concerned? Should I have her diabetes team look for something in particular? (14 Nov 2001)

155. I am concerned that my three year old son may be experiencing early signs of diabetes. We have a family history of diabetes on both sides. On two different occasions (one after eating dried fruit and a second after canned fruit) he stated that he did not feel well and that he had to lie down. He became pale and clammy. After giving him a drink and more food he felt better. Could this be an early sign? (14 Nov 2001)

156. I recently changed from Monotard and Actrapid to Ultratard and NovoRapid insulin with a drastic increase in dose. My morning blood sugars seem to have spiraled out of control. The diabetic specialist nurse just keeps telling me to increase the dose. I'm becoming more and more concerned that I have now become insulin resistant. (14 Nov 2001)

157. Three weeks ago, my best friend, who is 25 years old and thin, was diagnosed with diabetes when she went into the ER and had a blood sugar of 804 mg/dl [44.7 mmol/L]. Is this classified as type 1 diabetes? (14 Nov 2001)

158. How is a definite diagnosis of type 2 diabetes made in a child? (14 Nov 2001)

159. My 15 year old son, who is a speed skater and training for the Olympics, has shortness of breath, constant congestion and drainage, and, at times he actually passes out at school after a bout of dizziness and sweating, but, after he eats something he is fine. Could he have hypoglycemia? (13 Nov 2001)

160. I am 26 years old, female, newly married, and I recently I was told I have developed diabetes. I have several questions. (13 Nov 2001)

161. My 11 year old son has been having problems with aggression. Has anyone ever seen any correlation between behavior and onset of juvenile diabetes? (13 Nov 2001)

162. I'm a 58 year old African American woman who has had type 2 diabetes for four years, and lately I've been having severe pain in both hands. While sleeping, it seems to soothe the pain if I hold my hands off the side of the bed. What is causing the numbness and tingling of my fingertips? Could this be associated with my diabetes? (13 Nov 2001)

163. My son, just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, still tells me he wants sweet things like chocolate cakes and other foods like pizza. Please tell me what ingredients I should use in place of the proper ones and what else I can make for him. (13 Nov 2001)

164. I have type 1 diabetes, and I once noticed a low when I was having exercise-induced muscle cramps, and after treating it, later I ran high. I am curious as to how the formation of lactic acid during exercise would affect the blood glucose during and after exercise. (12 Nov 2001)

165. I am concerned about the long-term effects of inhaled insulin on the lungs. Are my concerns valid? Do you know if I'd have to take the same dosage of insulin with an inhaler as I would with injected insulin? (12 Nov 2001)

166. Does the HbA1c test truly paint an accurate picture for type 1 diabetes since it is an average? Is it more useful for type 2 patients who may not have large swings in blood sugar levels? (12 Nov 2001)

167. Recently, I read an article about a group that made a small pump with a cell inside which produces insulin. Do you have more information about how promising this is? (12 Nov 2001)

168. For the last five years, my 41 year old husband, diagnosed with diabetes when he was 25, has been in and out of the hospital for what his doctor calls diabetic gastropathy. His doctor said we cannot predict these events as this is already part of the complications of diabetes. Should he see a gastroenterologist or should we take his doctor's word for it? (12 Nov 2001)

169. My four year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, I have a one year old son, and I recently read a study suggesting that Vitamin D supplements can prevent the onset of type 1 diabetes. Should I be giving my son Vitamin D supplements due to his increased risk for type 1 diabetes? (12 Nov 2001)

170. Two weeks ago, my husband had his second stroke, and they detected diabetes. This is a new world for me, and I need to find information on what he can have to eat. He is rehabilitation now and will not be able to return home for two to six weeks so I would like to get caught up on what I need to learn. (12 Nov 2001)

171. What can you tell me about non-alcoholic steatohepatitis? (12 Nov 2001)

172. Due to the recent events surrounding the possible threat of smallpox, can my child who has diabetes receive the immunization for smallpox? (12 Nov 2001)

173. I have always had difficulty with school attendance. My public high school has given me an ultimatum to change my attendance record or leave school. Can you recommend a facility (boarding school, clinic, hospital) where I could live and go to school and be guided in getting better control of my diabetes and my life? (12 Nov 2001)

174. My 14 year old granddaughter has had type 1 diabetes since she was six years old, and I just recently heard about an insulin dosage calculator wheel that helps determine how much insulin to use. Can you give me any insight into this? (12 Nov 2001)

175. I have had type 2 diabetes for six years, and now my 13 year old son has a cut on his head that hasn't healed for about seven weeks. Should I get him tested for diabetes? (9 Nov 2001)

176. I noticed that blood glucose can be measured in terms of mg/dl or in mmol/L. Which countries use mmol/L? Is there any particular benefit for measuring blood glucose in mg/dl instead of mmol/L? (9 Nov 2001)

177. What are the limitations imposed by diabetes on developing my eight components of fitness (strength, power, speed, aerobic capacity, muscular endurance, flexibility, agility and body composition)? (9 Nov 2001)

178. I am a 23 year who has had type 1 diabetes 19 years. What types of vitamins or herbal supplements can I take to help? Is there anything that would help protect me from complications or aid in insulin sensitivity? (9 Nov 2001)

179. My four year old son, just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, has been complaining a lot that his knees hurt. I've heard of other children complaining that their joints hurt, but then I've heard that this is not a usual complaint of diabetes.Could this be caused by diabetes? (9 Nov 2001)

180. Due to the recent indications that the smallpox vaccine may be given to all Americans in the future, can my son, who has diabetes, be given the vaccine? (7 Nov 2001)

181. My son recently started on pump therapy, and so far, so good, but we have found the trickiest part to be filling the reservoir so as to avoid air bubbles in the tubing. Can you explain why insulin for this brand of pump is not available in pre-loaded cartridges? (7 Nov 2001)

182. I have had type 2 diabetes for a little over a year, and I recently began taking Lipitor, but my blood sugar numbers have been much higher. Is Lipitor known to increase blood sugar numbers? (7 Nov 2001)

183. My granddaughter has diabetes, and her pediatrician won't make an appointment for her flu shot until November, saying they don't expect to get a shipment until late November. How can we request access to flu vaccine for our granddaughter? (7 Nov 2001)

184. I have an insulin pump, and I have a solution for attachment of the catheter that works for me. (7 Nov 2001)

185. I have diabetes, I have a friend at school who also has it, and I am worried. Even the teachers are worried about her. So they asked me to try to talk to her. Anything you can give me on how to get her to realize she is slowly killing herself will really help! (2 Nov 2001)

186. My two year old son drinks excessively and urinates within 10 minutes, soaking his diaper. He wakes during the night and drinks four to eight ounces of fluid. If I gave him more, he would probably drink that too. He has maintained his weight of about 33 pounds. He has suddenly started stuttering which really concerns me, because he was speaking clearly before. My mother had diabetes, but it is controlled by oral medication. Is there any way to check for diabetes before going to the doctor? (2 Nov 2001)

187. I had gestational diabetes and was on insulin, but then it didn't show until 28 weeks, but this time I am diagnosed at 18 weeks! Why is gestational diabetes starting so early with this pregnancy? (2 Nov 2001)

188. My four year old daughter has type 1 diabetes, and I have been trying to get information on its cognitive effects.I have conducted a Medline search which yielded somewhat conflicting results indicating that hypo- and hyperglycemia can cause problems so I am very concerned, and I am having trouble coming up with a plan that focuses on limiting both. What is your opinion on the relationship between early diagnosis and cognitive impairment? (2 Nov 2001)

189. Our three and a half year old daughter, diagnosed at age 12 months with type 1 diabetes and recently started on the insulin pump, has been complaining occasionally of stomach pain soon after eating, and we have noticed a rise in blood sugars after meals that then return to normal. Could this be causing her stomach pain, or should we be looking at other possibilities? (2 Nov 2001)

190. I have gestational diabetes. How necessary are the amniocentesis and the early induction? (2 Nov 2001)

191. My one year old daughter who had diabetes which required insulin when she was born and resolved when she was five months old, is developing quite well. We have taken her to several doctors, one of whom said that she may need insulin later, maybe, around age 10, which makes me always worry about her future. Is it true? Have you ever seen such case? What's your opinion on it? (2 Nov 2001)

192. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes approximately six months ago, and I have just recently found out I am pregnant. I was able to control my numbers before pregnancy, but it seems much harder now, and I am only in the beginning stages. Is this normal? (2 Nov 2001)

193. Could you at least let me know what breakfast foods are no-no's for people with diabetes? Is there a chart for breakfast food I can get my hands on? (2 Nov 2001)

194. I am 30 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, and my husband and I would like to have a baby. I know that there is a concern about having diabetes and becoming pregnant. All the information I can find is about having type 1 diabetes and becoming pregnant. Can you please give me some advice about what to do or where I can get some information in addition to speaking with my specialist? (2 Nov 2001)

195. What would be the most practical insulin regimen (used in Europe) for a 18 month old, diagnosed four months ago? (2 Nov 2001)

196. My six week old granddaughter was rushed by ambulance in a coma and was diagnosed with metabolic acidosis.She is now on a glucose drip and, her urine and blood sugar levels are not elevated. Does this alone, eliminate the possibility of diabetes? (2 Nov 2001)

197. My son has only recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and we have commenced the appropriate treatment, but I would like to have a second opinion from a doctor in the United Kingdom who specialises, more specifically a clinic that may specialise. Please inform me of any diabetes programs in the United Kingdom. The doctors here are very good about the whole thing, but I would like to have a second opinion as to the treatment we are undertaking. (2 Nov 2001)

198. I'm 52 years old and have type 2 diabetes. I'm fortunate in that my blood glucose numbers now are always under 120mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L], but some mornings I'm 94 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L] and the next morning I'm 114 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L]. I get similar variances with the evening numbers from day to day. As long as I'm under 120 mg/dl [6.7 mmol/L] and above 80 mg/dl [4.4 mmol/L], should these fluctuations be of concern? (2 Nov 2001)

199. Our son, who has diabetes, has a four day school field trip. We are aware that the level of the activities during this event is going to be different from his day to day activities, and even though his teacher is aware of the boy's condition, she does not have much experience dealing with diabetes. He is very excited about this field trip. Do you think we should let him go? (1 Nov 2001)

200. I'm 38 and otherwise in good health with no family history of diabetes, but I just failed my one-hour glucose challenge with a blood sugar of 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L]. Does the fact that I was insulin dependent with my son mean that I will need insulin again this time? Does the need for insulin affect the likelihood that I will develop 'real' diabetes at some point? (1 Nov 2001)

201. What will happen if a person who doesn't have diabetes takes insulin intravenously? (1 Nov 2001)

202. I am currently on an intensive insulin regimen with NPH and Humalog in the morning, Humalog with lunch and dinner, and NPH at bedtime (11:30 pm-12:00 midnight) but lately, I've been waking up high. Is my problem that I'm taking my night dose too late (should I be taking it earlier in the evening)? (1 Nov 2001)

203. For the past three months, my nine year old son, who has diabetes, has been having headaches and vomiting at least three times a week, he has lost weight and dehydrates very quickly. His doctors don't know what is wrong and have done CAT scans of is stomach along with x-rays. His blood sugars have been good. I was wondering if he is going threw a growing spurt. Could he be allergic to something? Is this normal? (1 Nov 2001)

204. I work for a diabetes center and am trying to find publications, books, booklets, brochures, etc., geared toward children who have parents with diabetes, both type 1 and type 2. There is a wealth of information for parents with children who have diabetes, but not for kids who need to adjust their lives to accommodate their parents' health needs. Can you offer any suggestions? (1 Nov 2001)

205. My nine year old daughter was diagnosed about nine months ago and still has sugar readings in the 400s and 500s mg/dl [22.2 and 27.8 mmol/L] at times. How dangerous is this in the future if we don't get it under control? (1 Nov 2001)

206. My 71 year old grandmother, who has had type 2 diabetes for about eight years, has been told that she cannot use an electric heating blanket, but no one can explain the reason why. I think if they tell you that you can't use the heating blanket they should at least be able to tell the patient the reason. Why can't my 71 year old grandmother use an electric heating blanket? (1 Nov 2001)

207. My last A1c was 7.1%, and my random blood sugars are 150-180 mg/dl [8.3-10 mmol/L]. My doctor suggests that I take medication, but I am having a hard time with this and don't know if I should get a second opinion. Do I have a problem? (1 Nov 2001)

208. I am have type 1 diabetes, and I have been deeply disturbed over what I am hearing about pancreas transplants and cures not being available to those of us who have not yet developed complications. Why can't those of us with diabetes have the opportunity to live the rest of our lives without complications and the depressing knowledge that our misfortune will eventually be the end of us? (1 Nov 2001)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts