From Victorville, California, USA:

My 71 year old grandmother, who has had type 2 diabetes for about eight years, has been told that she cannot use an electric heating blanket, but no one can explain the reason why. I think if they tell you that you can't use the heating blanket they should at least be able to tell the patient the reason. Why can't my 71 year old grandmother use an electric heating blanket?

Many times older folks with diabetes have less feeling due to neuropathy. We usually caution against the use of heating blankets because they would be unable to sense any burning that might occur. However, some folks may do okay if they put a heating blanket on over a regular blanket. Again, it is essential to use caution. Never use the heating blanket directly on the feet. We see too many burns that result from that.