Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I'm 38 and otherwise in good health with no family history of diabetes, but I just failed my one-hour glucose challenge with a blood sugar of 150 mg/dl [8.3 mmol/L], and since I've been monitoring for the last week I know I'll fail the three-hour test. Does the fact that I was insulin dependent with my son mean that I will need insulin again this time? Does the need for insulin affect the likelihood that I will develop 'real' diabetes at some point?

Answer:

If you had gestational diabetes in one pregnancy, then you are at increased risk of having it again. You may or may not require insulin again. If you have lost weight and/or improved your diet since the last pregnancy, then you can reduce the chances of these problems recurring.

You are at increased risk of developing diabetes later in life. Once again, diet and weight control can reduce the chances of this happening.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes