From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I am 30 years old, I have type 2 diabetes, and my husband and I would like to have a baby. I know that there is a concern about having diabetes and becoming pregnant. All the information I can find is about having type 1 diabetes and becoming pregnant. Can you please give me some advice about what to do or where I can get some information in addition to speaking with my specialist?

The concerns are the same concerns for women with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes. If you have had diabetes for only a few years with no secondary complications such as eye or kidney disease and are otherwise in good health, then the risk of such complications as preeclampsia are not as high.

It is important that you maintain good control of your blood sugars during the time before conception and at least during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy (ideally throughout the pregnancy). This will minimize the risk of problems for the fetus. There are additional comments on this web site about pregnancy and type 1 diabetes that you may find useful.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Planning a pregnancy , at the Diabetes Monitor, for some additional thoughts. WWQ]

Posted to Family Planning