From Springfield, Illinois, USA:

I work the morning shift at a hotel that serves an extended continental breakfast (juice, muffins, cereal, fruit, etc.), and every once in a while, one of our guests will ask about how a certain juice or breakfast food rates on the diabetic scale, but I never know what to say. I am lucky enough not to have diabetes, but I would like to get more information so the next time I am asked I will have an answer. Could you at least let me know what breakfast foods are no-no's for people with diabetes? Is there a chart for breakfast food I can get my hands on?

As a diabetes educator, I appreciate your question and your willingness to help your guests with special dietary needs. I would recommend that you contact your local American Diabetes Association or a Registered Dietitian who works with people with diabetes.

Current teaching is that all foods can fit into a diabetes meal plan. What is more important than "good food vs bad food" for blood sugar control is the amount of total carbohydrate that a person with diabetes eats at any one time. As you mentioned in your letter, most of the breakfast foods tend to be higher in carbohydrates, so portion control is a factor for these guests (which kind of goes against the buffet idea). Check with a registered dietitian in your area and see if they are able to work up a sheet for quick reference of carb numbers for various breakfast foods.

Most people with diabetes should have/be using a meal plan with known amounts of carbohydrates. Thanks for the interest in getting the nutrition information to the person with diabetes who wants to utilize this information.