From South Carolina, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes approximately six months ago, which is diet-controlled, and I have just recently found out I am pregnant. I was able to control my numbers before pregnancy, but it seems much harder now, and I am only in the beginning stages. Is this normal? I am very fearful about what this pregnancy may do to me and my child. Does this mean that my child could be born with diabetes as well?

When you are pregnant, there are additional factors that will increase your insulin resistance. Therefore, diet alone may not be adequate to control your blood sugar. and you may require either an oral hypoglycemic agent or even insulin to assist in keeping your glucose down.

It is highly unlikely that your child will be born with diabetes.

Posted to Family Planning and Type 2