Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

I had gestational diabetes and was on insulin with my son, but then it didn't show until 28 weeks (Even then I barely met the criteria), but this time I am diagnosed at 18 weeks! I understand that the placenta produces hormones that interfere with the insulin (i.e., the resistance), but can't imagine why it would be even sooner this time. Why is gestational diabetes starting so early with this pregnancy?

Answer:

It is possible that you have developed type 2 diabetes. If your hemoglobin A1c is elevated that would support this assumption. Also, it will be important to retest you for diabetes after you deliver your baby.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity