Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I have had diabetes for about eight years, and I have a friend at school who also has had it for five years. She is in the eighth grade, and I am worried because she doesn't take her lunch shots, and she would skip meals and shots if her mom and dad didn't make her do them (she has a good family). Even the teachers are worried about her. So they asked me to try to talk to her. I brought up the insulin pump one day, and she just ran out of the room. Anything you can give me on how to get her to realize she is slowly killing herself will really help!

Answer:

Your friend is very lucky to have you as a friend! Right now it sounds like your friend really needs someone to understand how hard diabetes is, and how frustrating it is to always check blood sugars and take shots.

Even though she is struggling now, it does not mean that she is killing herself. You may want to talk with your parents about having a conversation with your friend's parents. Perhaps if you all talk with her parents to let them know how much their daughter is struggling with diabetes, then her parents can seek help from her diabetes team.

JWB

Posted to Behavior