Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

Due to the recent indications that the smallpox vaccine may be given to all Americans in the future, can my son, who has diabetes, be given the vaccine? I am under the impression that this may not be possible due to my son's immune system not being able to fight off the smallpox virus that would be injected with the vaccine.

Hopefully this will never materialize, but it is a concern of mine in case it does!

Answer:

In general, people including kids with diabetes can receive all immunizations that others receive unless they have very specific immune disorders. You should discuss this with your child's physicians since they would know his specific medical information including contraindications for immunizations.