Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I am a 23 year who has had type 1 diabetes 19 years. What types of vitamins or herbal supplements can I take to help? Is there anything that would help protect me from complications or aid in insulin sensitivity?

Answer:

The heart of the matter is that there are a lot of people out there saying there are herbals which help with the treatment of diabetes. However, there is not a lot of scientific information to back this up. For my money, there are really not vitamins or supplements which are more important than a healthy lifestyle, complete with good overall nutrition, exercise, and good blood sugar control.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations