Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

Due to the recent events surrounding the possible threat of smallpox, can my child who has diabetes receive the immunization for smallpox?

Answer:

Smallpox vaccination has not been required in the U.S. for many years, but, if public health authorities advise that it should again be done, there is no reason why a child with type 1A (autoimmune) should not be vaccinated.

Additional comments from Dr. John Schulga:

There is no reason why your child cannot receive any immunisation simply because of diabetes. Diabetes is not a contraindication to immunisations.

JS

Additional comments from Dr. Stuart Brink:

Adults and children with diabetes, as long as they do not have any immune disorders unrelated to their having diabetes, can be immunized against smallpox.

Additional comments from Dr. Larry Deeb:

No American is currently receiving smallpox vaccine, including the military. I do know this will be rethought. Smallpox vaccine carries risks of its own. A small proportion do get a severe and even fatal reactions. I would think long and hard before immunizing my child.