From Wisconsin, USA:

My 15 year old son, who is a speed skater and training for the Olympics, has shortness of breath, constant congestion and drainage, and, at times he actually passes out at school after a bout of dizziness and sweating, but, after he eats something he is fine. I have found that if I send him to school with granola bars, fruit snacks, bananas, etc., he is good for the day. I have him eat little bits every hour or so. He was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur (he had scarlet fever at age two) and between all of the other symptoms, he is a wreck.

It seems every time he goes for more than three or four hours without eating he has these "spells". Could he have hypoglycemia? Are there any over-the-counter glucose testing kits that we can buy?

This seems complicated and potentially serious. Glucose meters are available over the counter as well as the strips. You can test his glucose and document the situation. If low, he needs evaluation, but even better, have him see someone now about this.

The murmurs following strep can be very serious. You must have a competent cardiologist see him and evaluate this. He may need an echocardiogram, etc. You cannot let him train at the level you are suggesting without a clear understanding of his heart. Please follow up

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Hypoglycemia